If you need support while you’re living in Adelaide, there are a range of services available to help you.

Group of students sitting and having a discussion


StudyAdelaide offers a range of free and discounted student support services and programs

Our events and activities are designed to help you connect with other students, enhance your employability skills and balance your studies while enjoying all that Adelaide has to offer.

More Information

Back to top

South Australian Skills Commission

The South Australian Skills Commission can help with any question you have about living, working or studying during your stay in South Australia.

The Commission offers independent advice and support to help you:

  • Understand the terms and conditions of your enrolment agreement
  • Understand your rights at work
  • Access support and welfare services
  • Find information on other government services available to international students

Services are free of charge for current international students.

More Information
South Australian Skills Commission

Back to top

Overseas Students Ombudsman

The Commonwealth Ombudsman has a special role investigating private schools, colleges, institutes, and universities who teach international students. They handle complaints from overseas students for free. 

They can take complaints from international students before, during and after their study in Australia. They are independent and don’t take sides, but they look at the facts and decide if the education provider correctly followed laws, policies, and procedures.

Common types of complaint issues that International Students raise to the Ombudsman include:

  • refunds of fees paid to education providers when students cancel enrolment or withdraw from study
  • students wishing to transfer to another education provider (during the restricted period)
  • being reported for unsatisfactory course progress or attendance
  • being unhappy with a grade received and feeling that the provider didn’t follow the correct process when reviewing the grade
  • being unable to access a provider’s internal complaints and appeals process.

More Information
Overseas Students - Commonwealth Ombudsman
Call: 1300 362 072

Ombudsman SA

Ombudsman SA is an independent officer who handles complaints about South Australian State and local government and can take complaints from international students about public education providers in South Australia.

More Information
Ombudsman SA
Call: (08) 8226 8699

Back to top

On-Campus Student Services

Your university, college or education institution can offer you support to help deal with problems you may be having with your:

  • Health
  • Mental wellbeing
  • Finances
  • Personal security

Visit your education provider’s website or speak to your adviser to find out more.

Students sitting around a laptop whilst teacher points to screen

Back to top


If you need assistance with a legal matter, the Legal Services Commission of South Australia can offer you legal help if you can’t afford to pay for a lawyer.

More Information
Legal Services Commission of South Australia
Call: 1300 366 424

Back to top

Cultural and Student Groups

South Australia’s multicultural community is home to people from more than 200 diverse cultural and religious backgrounds.

Cultural Groups

There are many community and cultural groups in Adelaide where you can meet new friends and join in festivities and programs.

Find other multicultural organisations:

Student Groups

You can also get involved in a range of student clubs to suit your social, academic, sporting and religious interests.

Ask your education provider for information on clubs and campus activities where you can socialise and have fun with your study friends.

Students huddled together wearing traditional dress

Student Stories

Hear from international students about living and studying in Adelaide.

Read more stories